IEM GIS Information
Geographic Information System (GIS) is a system for manipulating spatially referenced data. Since the IEM contains many spatially referenced datasets, it would only seem natural to integrate IEM data into GIS applications.
Presentations & Docs:
- 28 Jul 2003: NEXRAD + Mapserver HOWTO
A HowTo on generating NEXRAD composite images with GEMPAK and serving them out with Mapserver.
- IEM Presentation Archive
The IEM has given a number of GIS related talks. You can browse an archive of presentations.
- IEM RASTERs Lookup Tables
Metadata on how you can convert IEM produced RASTERs into actual values!
- NEXRAD w/ warnings
- COOP Daily Extremes and Averages
- Dynamic Plotting
- IEM Site Locator
- NEXRAD Mosaic by Year
Displays NEXRAD mosaicked base reflectivity for a user specified sector for the same time each year going back to 1995.
- US Drought Monitor GIS data
Download current and historical drought monitor products in GIS formats
- NCDC Severe Weather Data Inventory
A tremendous website with lots of hard to find data!
- GIS Severe Weather reports
Archive of NCDC provided storm reports (1950-)!
- NCDC GIS Portal
National Climate Data Center GIS goodies
- NCEI's Display and Conversion Tools.
- NSSL Google Earth Data
Weather data integrated into Google Earth!
- Oregon State PRISM
These folks provide nationwide GIS ready datasets of climate data. Their site is outstanding!
- USDA PRISM data page (GIS Climate Data).
- Iowa Natural Resources Geographic Information System (NRGIS)
- NOAA's Ken Waters work with GIS and NWS warnings
They have some historical GIS datasets of warnings too.
- Index to Degree-Day Data
- NASA MAP'06 program
Has some GIS satellite data.
You may have noticed this image appearing on IEM webpages. It signifies that the data link is ready for most GIS systems.
IEM GIS Projects
- GOES Satellite GIS Products
Current and archived GIS products from NOAA's GOES satellites
- Open GIS Web Services
A listing of OGC web services offered by the IEM
- Iowa Climate Summaries
GIS ready data files of monthly and yearly climate summaries dating back to 1951.
- IEM Freeze
Web mapping application to support winter weather nowcasting.
- IEM Radview
Our effort to provide NEXRAD information in realtime to GIS systems.
- IEM Rainfall
Gridded rainfall estimates in GIS formats dating back to 2002 for Iowa.
- IEM Iowa Road Conditions
Current and archived Iowa road conditions.
- IEM Cow
Unofficial NWS polygon warning verification.
- NEXRAD Mosiac on the IEM
Information about the NEXRAD Mosiac that the IEM generates.
- SPC Mesoscale Discussion Shapefile Download
- SPC Outlook Shapefile Download
- SPC Watch Polygon Shapefile Download
- Past 24 hours of Storm Reports
ESRI Shapefile, Comma Delimited, GeoJSON
The IEM parses the realtime feed of NWS Local Storm Reports. Every 5 minutes, a process collects up the last 24 hours worth of reports and dumps them to the above files.
- Archived Local Storm Reports
Generate a shapefile of LSRs for a period of your choice dating back to 2003!
- Current NWS Warnings
A shapefile of active county based and polygon based weather warnings. This file is updated every minute.
- Archived NWS Warnings
Generate a shapefile of weather warnings for a time period of your choice!
- Current NEXRAD Storm Attributes
Point shapefile generated every minute containing a summary of NEXRAD storm attributes.
- Archived NEXRAD Storm Attributes
Generate a shapefile of storm attributes for a RADAR and time period of your choice from the archive.
- NWS COOP Observations
Today's climate reports
- Special Weather Statement (SPS) Polygons
Shapefile download of SPS polygons and IBW tags.
- Browse GIS data stored on the IEM website.
- WPC Precip Discussion MPD Polygon Shapefile Download